Saturday, April 21, 2012

What do you mean you don't know where I live?

It's funny how things circle back reappearing when you least expect it.  Though they often happen in times of life's transitions.  In 2000, a lifetime ago, I began working for Northwest Passage Highschool as one of 4 teachers.  In addition to my many educational tasks, I also had the distinct pleasure of picking and dropping students off at their house using one of our school's minivans.  

Early during the year I was asked to drop off Billy(not his real name).  Now Billy was challenged.  He was challenged because his family was not there for him.  They lived in trailer park outside of Blaine.  He was under credit and over aged, meaning he was 3 years behind his peers. Billy was dealt a pretty weak hand. 

Having worked in Minneapolis and St. Paul, the roads in Blaine were unfamiliar to me, which is why I was doing the drop offs. Add to this situation a world where cell phone were not common, I didn't have one at the time.

Sounds easy,  get in the van with kids and they point you to there house, right?  Wrong.  I found myself in the van with Billy after dropping off a number of students.  I looked at him, "Where to?" Response, "I thought you knew where I lived."  How does a kid not know the way home?

Fast forward to last night.  For those of you who don't know I just arrived in Doha, Qatar.  I spent a wonderful evening at colleague's house as a guest for dinner.  It was getting late and they ordered me a driver to take me home to Al Khor, which is 40 minutes north of Doha.  Everything's great, I jump in the car and we head off, except this time the driver takes a different route to Al Khor. The Eastern route I know, the Western route I haven't a clue.  Arriving in Al Khor, he turns and asks, "Where to?"  Response, "I thought you knew where I lived?"  Ah, Billy forgive me for my thoughts at the time questioning your intellect.

Novel experiences are the life blood of learning. Placed in a new situation our senses are heighten, and if we stay focused real deep learning occurs.  How as teachers can we place our students in these kind of learning environments?  To keep the learning fresh, to keep the learner engage.  That is the challenge, that is the mission of education.

By the way, I didn't have a working cell phone that night either. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment